Wednesday 30 September 2015

Teenage Fanclub "Grand Prix"

I loved Teenage Fanclub from when I first saw "Everything Flows" on SNUB TV, a UK indie show, around 1990.  They had that perfect ragged combination of loud guitars and melody.  I was never at all keen on all those 80s rock groups but bands like Teenage Fanclub, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, Husker Du were the first modern bands I heard that avoided all those poodle rock cliches and actually fitted alongside all those classic power pop bands from the 60s that I got from my Dad's record collection.  Hard to pick one Teenage Fanclub LP.  "Bandwagonesque" and "Songs From Northern Britain" are family faves but I've probably listened to this most of all.  A colossal influence on my writing and "Simple Songs" and "Five Minutes" are both massive homages to this band.  I must have seen them 7 or 8 times - always great.  Here's the original SNUB TV clip.  I saw them not long after this at Sheffield Leadmill.  


No comments:

Post a Comment