Thursday 1 October 2015

Neil Young "Tonight's the Night"

Another tough call picking a favourite Neil Young LP.  All my favourite Neil is late 60s and 70s.  The odd one since - I do love "Ragged Glory" from 1991.  I have a particular obsession with this LP though.  I love that it's so imperfect.  It's recorded late at night, it's totally live, unpolished, full of hiss and amp buzz.  Bands would be terrified of making a record like this now.  A wonderful collection of songs too.  When I first moved to New Zealand a friend came to visit and we did a tour of the south island.  This was pretty much the soundtrack of the trip.  Other than this I'd go for "On The Beach" and "After the Goldrush"  I finally got to see him live around 2013.  It was a little disappointing as Neil had brought along his set from the Rust Never Sleeps tour in '79.  This included a giant fake microphone which was positioned exactly in my line of view meaning I couldn't see him play at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment